Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012
Commencement of amendments to the Working with Children Act
On this page
Amendments to the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 commenced 1 September 2022.
From 1 September 2022 the Working with Children Act will:
- Authorise exchange of certain working with children check information with interstate screening agencies.
- Facilitate NSW participation in a national database of negative working with children check decisions (the National Reference System).
- Prevent persons who have been convicted of bestiality or serious animal cruelty offences from applying for review of a working with children check decision.
- Include additional animal cruelty offences as risk assessment triggers.
- Include serious animal cruelty offences as disqualifying offences.
- Allow animal welfare agencies – the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NSW) and the Animal Welfare League – to share animal cruelty information with the Children’s Guardian.
Date of change: