Proof of identity

Last update: 05 April 2024

Proof of identity requirements for anyone applying for or renewing their Working with Children Check.

On this page

    Proof of identity process

    When you apply for or renew a NSW WWCC, you must prove your identity. The documents you use to prove your identity allows us to:

    • conduct a national criminal history check
    • gather any findings of misconduct by a reporting body or the NSW Ombudsman and all information necessary to assess your application
    • be assured you are who you say you are.


    You may be eligible to renew your WWCC using digital proof if identity which means that you do not need to attend a Service NSW Centre. More information about renewing your WWCC using digital proof of identity is on the Service NSW website

    When applying for the first time, or renewing in person, there are 2 steps to prove your identity.

    1. Complete the online application and enter the details of your identity documents. You will receive an email receipt with an application (APP) number and information about next steps.
    2. Take all your identity documents to a Service NSW Centre to have your identity verified and pay your fee (if applicable). Make sure that:
    • all documents in the same name (if not, a change of name or marriage certificate will be required)
    • documents must be the original document and must not be laminated
    • documents must be current and include at least one photo ID.


    You must visit a Service NSW Centre within 28 days of completing the online application form.

    If you are renewing your WWCC using digital proof of identity you do not need to attend a Service NSW Centre. There are also different proof of identity requirements. You can find out more on the Service NSW website

    There is an alternative proof of identity process available for authorised carers (foster carers) and their adult household members.

    Alternative Working with Children Check information for carers.


    Document requirements

    If you are applying for the new WWCC or renewing and verifying your identity at a Service NSW Centre, you must provide 4 identification documents:

    • one commencement of identity document
    • one primary use in the community document
    • 2 secondary use in community documents


    Your documents must be current and original:

    • laminated documents are not acceptable
    • photos, photocopies or certified copies are not acceptable
    • expired documents are not acceptable (unless specified)
    • a NSW digital driver licence is acceptable
    • we cannot accept other digital identity documents eg Medicare and bank cards must be physical.


    The combination of the identity documents collected must contain:

    • Your full name
    • Your date of birth
    • Your photograph

    Please review the naming requirements for each document type below.

    One document must contain your name in full. For example, only the first initial on every document is not acceptable.

    If your documents are in different names because your name has been changed due to marriage, divorce, your name was anglicised on your arrival to Australia, you’ve provided a different name to an Australian government agency, or any other legal reason, you'll also need to provide one of the following:

    • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory registry (church or celebrant issued certificates are not accepted)
    • Australian change of name certificate issued by Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages
    • Australian divorce order (issued by the Family Court)
    • Deed Poll.

    Note: A statutory declaration or a certificate issued by a marriage celebrant is not an acceptable change of name document.

    Identity documents and categories

    Open all

    Finding or replacing documents can take time - know which documents you need before you apply for or renew your Check.

    You need to provide one commencement of identity document, one primary use in the community document and 2 secondary use in community documents. At least one must be photo ID. 

    Commencement of identity documents

    Provide one of the below (first, middle and family name):

    • Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
    • Current Australian passport (not expired)
    • Australian Visa current at the time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist*
    • Current ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services*
    • Current certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
    • Current document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or people who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes.
    • An Australian Citizenship Certificate.


    * If you don’t have evidence of your current visa, contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

    New Zealand residents

    If you are from New Zealand, you can obtain details of your entry into Australia using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online system (VEVO).  This will satisfy the commencement of identity document requirement. You can access your VEVO details at the Department of Home Affairs website.  

    Note: If you were born in Australia and do not have a commencement document, please obtain a birth certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where you were born (unless you have evidence that your birth was not registered).

    Primary use in the community documents

    Provide one of the below (must have your first and family name)

    • Current Australian driver licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
    • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia supported by your current Australian visa document
    • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo
    • Current shooters or firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence)


    Note: If you do not currently have a ‘primary use in the community’ document, we suggest you apply for a NSW Photo Card.

    Secondary use in community documents

    Provide 2 of the below. One document must include family name and your first given name in full. These must be physical documents, digital documents cannot be accepted.

    • Current Medicare card 
    • Current security guard or crowd control photo licence
    • Evidence of current right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs). Card or interim letter are suitable evidence, statements will not be accepted.
    • Current consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
    • Current photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
    • Current Police force ID card issued to an officer by a police force
    • Current Australian tertiary or secondary student photo identity document (if it does not have an expiry date and has only issue date, accepted up to 2 years from the date of issue)
    • Academic transcript from an Australian university up to 12 months from date of issue
    • Current credit or account card issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International
    • State or territory government rates assessment notice up to 12 months old
    • Australian Utility bill showing the applicant’s name and address up to 12 months old
    • Bank statement or letter up to 12 months old, issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International including the applicant's account number or account type, and financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp.


    Note: to use more than one bank or credit card as a secondary use in the community document, the cards must be from different institutions. A bank card and bank statement can be used from the same institution or account.

    If you do not have access to the types of documents listed above, please contact our customer services team by calling (02) 8219 3777 or going to our Contact us page.

    Please note we cannot assist if you have lost/damaged documents, or if they have expired. You will need to replace or renew them before applying or use alternative documents.

    Was this page helpful?
    Your rating will help us improve the website
    You can now renew your WWCC by using digital proof of identity – no need to visit a Service NSW Centre.
    How to renew using digital proof of identity (POI)

    You will need:

    • A MyServiceNSW account with the WWCC service added
    • 3 current identity documents including a NSW driver licence or photo card
    • a device with a working front camera for face verification.

    If you're renewing a paid WWCC, you will also need a credit card, debit card, PayPal or PayID account.

    If you have an expired WWCC clearance or have changed your name on your identity documents since the last time you renewed your WWCC, you can't renew using digital proof of identity.

    Back to top