About overnight respite care

Last update: 04 March 2022

Information on overnight care for your child outside the home.

On this page

    Employing a registered provider

    If you are purchasing support that involves overnight care for your child outside your family home, please use the list of agencies that we have registered to provide this kind of care. Organisations must be registered with the Office of the Children’s Guardian before they can provide or arrange such care. This includes arrangements made using NDIS funding.

    We have also put together resources below to support parents in selecting care providers through the NDIS.

    Have a concern about a care provider?

    How to raise a concern about an organisation

    1. If you have concern about a provider not following the requirements and standards, contact voohc@ocg.nsw.gov.au

    2. If you think a child or young person is at risk of harm from abuse or neglect, contact the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (TTY 1800 212 936), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    3. For complaints or concerns about an NDIS provider, contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544.

    4. Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800 (free)

    Was this page helpful?
    Your rating will help us improve the website
    Back to top