Contact us

Last update: 28 November 2022

How to get in touch with the NSW Office of the Children's Guardian. 

On this page

    Top three questions about the Working with Children Check

    Open all
    1. Do I need a Working with Children Check?

    The Working with Children Check is for people who work directly with children, in areas of work specified as child-related work, or work in a designated role as stated in the legislation.

    There are several exemptions to the requirement to get a Working with Children Check, and these are set out in the Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013.

    We encourage individuals and their employers to determine if and when a Working with Children Check is required. We provide information on our website to help at

    2. How do I get a Working with Children Check?

    The first step is to do your Working with Children Check application online by going to

    Once your application form has been completed online, you will be given an application (APP) number.

    The second step is to take your application number along with proof of identity to a NSW Motor Registry, RMS Agency, or Service NSW service centre. Find a location at

    Paid workers will pay a fee of $80. For volunteers, the Working with Children Check is free.

    Finally, you will receive an email once the Working with Children Check has been completed.

    3. What proof of Identity documents do I need to provide?

    Once you have completed your application online, you must take your email receipt along with the necessary proof of identity documents to a Service NSW centre to finalise your application or renewal. You can either print out your application email receipt, or just show the receipt on your phone.

    The identification documents you provide must be original, hard copy documents and must include at least one photo ID.

    Types of document you will need
    • One commencement of identity document (such as birth certificate)
    • One primary use in the community document (such as driver licence)
    • Two secondary use in community document (such as Medicare card and bank card)

    More information on proof of identity requirements

    Hearing or speech impairment

    If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through

    • voice calls or telephone typewriter (TTY) call 133 677 then ask for 13 77 88
    • speak and listen service call 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 77 88
    • SMS relay service on 0423 677 767 then type 13 77 88
    • make an internet relay call then type 13 77 88.

    Contact us web form

    Please send us your enquiry, feedback or complaint using this form. If you want us to be in touch with you, please provide contact details. Before sending the form, please read our Correspondence handling statement.

    Would you like us to respond?
    Mandatory fields marked with *
    This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


    Working With Children Check Customer Service Team
    (02) 8219 3777

    (02) 8219 3600

    Media enquiries (media enquiries from journalists only)

    0413 452 498

    Postal address

    Office of the Children’s Guardian

    Locked Bag 5100

    Strawberry Hills NSW 2012

    Report a concern about an adult or organisation

    Report non-compliance with the Working with Children Check or Child Safe Scheme

    Report unauthorised employment of a child in the entertainment industry

    Concerned for a child?

    If you think a child or young person is at risk of harm from abuse or neglect, contact the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 (TTY 1800 212 936), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    For complaints or concerns about an NDIS provider, contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544.
    Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800 (free)

    Service NSW

    Find a Service NSW centre near you

    Was this page helpful?
    Your rating will help us improve the website
    Back to top