Specialised substitute residential care

Supporting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people accessing overnight care.

shoes on grass

When a parent makes an arrangement with an organisation for their child to receive overnight respite care or behaviour support for 3 or more nights in a 7-day period outside of the family home in NSW, this is legally known as specialised substitute residential care. Any organisation that provides this type of care falls under the Child Safe Scheme and must follow a code of practice.

We monitor providers of specialised substitute residential care under the Children's Guardian Act 2019 and Children’s Guardian Regulation 2022.

The list of providers includes those organisations and sole traders that have self-identified and registered with the OCG, and have completed a Child Safe Self-assessment (which is a requirement of the Regulation). Providers must adhere to the SSRC Code of Practice.

A provider listing with the OCG does not necessarily mean the provider is accredited by the OCG, or that they have been assessed as meeting the requirements of the legislation.


Was this page helpful?
Your rating will help us improve the website
You can now renew your WWCC by using digital proof of identity – no need to visit a Service NSW Centre.
How to renew using digital proof of identity (POI)

You will need:

  • A MyServiceNSW account with the WWCC service added
  • 3 current identity documents including a NSW driver licence or photo card
  • a device with a working front camera for face verification.

If you're renewing a paid WWCC, you will also need a credit card, debit card, PayPal or PayID account.

If you have an expired WWCC clearance or have changed your name on your identity documents since the last time you renewed your WWCC, you can't renew using digital proof of identity.

Back to top