Child Safe Scheme brings clarity and focus – annual report
The Annual Report 2021-22 of the Office of the Children’s Guardian was tabled today in NSW Parliament.
The report is the last for out-going Children’s Guardian Janet Schorer, and the first since the commencement of the Child Safe Scheme.
In her foreword to the report, Ms Schorer said the scheme will bring a new clarity and focus to the work of the Office of the Children’s Guardian.
This is the first full year with the Working with Children Check, Reportable Conduct Scheme and the Child Safe Scheme, all operating from the Office of the Children’s Guardian.
The launch of the Child Safe Scheme in February 2022 is a major milestone in child protection for NSW. The best way we know for organisations to protect the children in their care, is to implement the ten child safe standards.
We’ve created a suite of online resources with eLearning and webinars to help organisations protect children by meeting the Scheme’s requirements.
- 1,814,122 people with a Working with Children Check
- 466 applications for a Check refused
- 87,000 downloads of child safe resources
- 32,409 people doing face-to-face or online child safe training
- 78 organisations authorised and monitored for providing statutory out-of-home care.