Working for better coordination and partnerships – annual report
The Annual Report 2022–23 of the Office of the Children’s Guardian was tabled today in NSW Parliament.
The report is the first for Steve Kinmond OAM who began his term as NSW Children’s Guardian in January 2023.
In his foreword, Mr Kinmond highlighted his commitment to work in partnership with others in the interests of the children and young people in NSW.
This report highlights the deep connections the Office of the Children’s Guardian has with organisations across the state that contribute to the lives of children and young people.
He said that coordination between agencies and systems is especially important when supporting vulnerable children.
Delivering the best results to children often requires joint work from government and non-government human service and justice agencies. Very vulnerable children, in particular, have multiple and complex needs which require a well-integrated, multi-agency response.
The report identifies a number of aspects of the system which require reform, including ensuring that information can be exchanged across borders for the purpose of keeping children safe, national reforms to the Working with Children Check system, a proposal for our office to provide a combined, streamlined and lower cost Working with Children Check and National Criminal Record Check, and an adjustment to one of the categories of reportable conduct to better safeguard children.
Some highlights for 2022–23
- 85 Designated agencies authorised to provide out-of-home care services.
- 803 Children accessed specialised substitute residential care through 272 agencies over the year.
- 93,000 people undertaking any Child Safe capability building activity. This includes attending training, webinars and eLearning.
- 1,877,416 people with a Working with Children Check clearance in NSW. People who work with children must have a verified Working with Children Check.
- 491 applications for a Working with Children Check were not granted, barring these people from working with children.
- 1 February 2023 compliance against the Child Safe Scheme began.