Any organisation that has people who work or volunteer to provide services to children or young people must register with the Office of the Children’s Guardian to verify the Working with Children Check (WWCC) details of people they engage in child-related work.
How to register
The process to register your organisation is quick and simple:
- Fill in the online form. Make sure to enter your organisation's name, address, ABN and contact information.
- Avoid using a personal email address for your organisation.
- We will collect some information from you about your work with children. We use this information to help us understand the profiles and needs of child-related sectors in implementing the child safe standards.
- Nominate two people within your organisation who will be notified in the event a child-related worker becomes barred. These two people must be officials of the organisation, with authority to receive and act on legal and confidential information.
- Create your account details.
- Enter a business email address that your organisation will use to log into the Employer Portal. This email address will be your ‘username’. Any account access and other automated system emails will be sent to this email address.
- We do not have access to your Password. Please record your username and password in a secure place.
- Confirm you have read the declaration and click Submit.
You can update registration details at any time in the Account section of the Employer Portal.
Sole traders with no employees do not need to register. They must supply their WWCC details to any relevant client (such as parents) for them to verify.
How to verify a worker or volunteer
Verifying is a legal requirement and there is a fine for not verifying.
Verifying lets us know that a particular person who holds a Working with Children Check works for your organisation. Verifying makes the link between the worker and organisation in our continuous monitoring system. If your worker becomes barred in the future, we will let you know immediately and advise you to remove the person from child-related work.
You can verify a person’s application (APP) number once they have applied for a WWCC (except in the education sector) and then verify again when they receive their clearance number.
You also need to verify again when workers renew their Check after five years.
Verification must be done through our online WWCC system and you must keep a record of each verification. These are legal requirements.
The process to verify a person online is quick and simple:
- Log in using the username and password your organisation created when they registered as an employer
- Enter in a worker’s
- family name
- birth date
- Working with Children Check (WWC) number or Application (APP) number
- Click ‘Add’ to add the worker’s details to a list below. Complete the fields for all workers you want to verify.
- Once you have added all the worker details you wish to verify, click, ‘Verify’. This will generate a short report indicating the WWCC status of any details you entered.
- A person can only be employed or engaged in child-related work if the status is “Cleared” or “Application in progress”
- See our WWCC status page for guidance on what different statuses mean.
Don't forget to keep a record of the people you verify.
You can download a CSV file containing historic verification attempts from the ‘Verification history’ section of the Employer Portal. The verification history reports are generated monthly. This file will help you with record keeping and to ensure that you have verified all your workers and volunteers.