Key statistics - NSW Carers Register

Last update: 31 January 2024

End-of-quarter NSW Carers Register statistics.

On this page


    • The number of authorised carers has decreased since December 2022.
    • 14.5% of Authorised Carers identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
    • 62% of Carers are Female and 38% are Male, 0.05% identifies as Gender X
    • 56% of Household members are over 18 years of age and require a WWCC
    • DCJ manages 45% of the households in the Carers Register, NGO manage the other 55%

    * Some carers may be authorised by more than one agency.

    Data represents a snapshot at the end of the quarter indicated apart from Cancelled / Surrendered / Refused / Withdrawn data which covers this quarter compared to last year's corresponding quarter only.

    For more information on the Carers Register, please email us at


    Latest quarter detailed statistics

    Statistics on 31 December 2023


    Number of current authorised carers and household members

    There were 16,643 authorised carers and 11,976 household members in December 2023

    Carers and applicants - cancelled or withdrawn

    Number of cancelled or withdrawn carers and applicants

    Households managed by NGOs or DCJ

    4,872 5,958

    Current carer applications

    Number of household applicationsNumber of carer applicants
    1,763 2,717

    Carer applications refused or withdrawn

    StatusOct - Dec 2022Oct - Dec 2023
    Withdrawn with no concerns325378
    Withdrawn with concerns4633
    Was this page helpful?
    Your rating will help us improve the website
    You can now renew your WWCC by using digital proof of identity – no need to visit a Service NSW Centre.
    How to renew using digital proof of identity (POI)

    You will need:

    • A MyServiceNSW account with the WWCC service added
    • 3 current identity documents including a NSW driver licence or photo card
    • a device with a working front camera for face verification.

    If you're renewing a paid WWCC, you will also need a credit card, debit card, PayPal or PayID account.

    If you have an expired WWCC clearance or have changed your name on your identity documents since the last time you renewed your WWCC, you can't renew using digital proof of identity.

    Back to top